RREUSE Vision: Social & Circular Outlook 2020-2025
Amidst the COVID-19 crisis, RREUSE’s vision is incredibly timely as the need for a Europe supporting the role of social enterprises is more urgent than ever. Also, the European Commission now expects both the European Parliament and the Council to react to its communication on the Circular Economy Action plan, making it a great time to raise awareness on how to ensure the circular transition is tightly linked to a social one.
This vision includes comprehensive measures for a job-rich, just and inclusive circular transition prioritising re-use and repair and focusing on the wellbeing of all individuals.
More specifically, it includes:
- Ambitious waste prevention, re-use and preparation for re-use targets
- Repairability and durability requirements
- Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) schemes that support the top of the EU waste hierarchy
- Stronger guidance and leadership in green and social procurement
- Member States to reduce Value Added Tax (VAT) rates for activities contributing to environmental improvement, notably re-use and repair
- Financial incentives to help develop social enterprise activities in the circular economy
- Account for social impact recognition through continued investment and dialogue
- Ensure the European Semester supports the implementation of the European Pillar of Social Rights